Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Easter

FOUR weeks ago...

...was Easter. Our friend planned an Easter egg hunt in our backyard, since we are one of the only families who have a yard here. We had a brunch and hid hundreds of eggs. The best part was that we didn't have to do any of the inviting or planning. But it did make us feel like we should do more things at our house because we have a good open home for it. Too bad we never think of it. For our local friends, feel free to plan anything else at our house whenever you want. It was really fun!

As soon as the hunt/brunch was over we got to watch conference. In between sessions we dyed eggs. I said a long time ago that I never had any cooking disasters, but since I've started this blog I have racked up quite the number... including this one. I have actually hard boiled eggs before, but for some reason I tried a new method in a cookbook, that shall remain nameless, and thought they were good to go. Here's how it went down. First, we dyed them the normal way and then actually hand painted them with this other sparkly kit that I bought without realizing what it was. That part was pretty good, albeit messy and slippery. I'm not sure how many eggs were dropped on the floor, but I'd say a good third bit the dust at this point. It was also then that we opened the too-broken-ones-to-save and realized that these eggs were not at all done--which totally grosses me out.

The important part was that we had fun and that they were a beautiful sight, not the usual dye-tinged egg salad sandwiches that I refused to make out of these health hazards. We stashed them in the fridge, thinking we might hide them the next day, but didn't. Later that night Jared thought he would try RE-hard boiling the already dyed, painted and (at least for some) cracked eggs. The result was more akin to a witch's brew because most of the paint came off leaving the eggs pink and turning the bubbly water a sparkly purple. But, it actually worked. It was a little nerve racking eating them in the end, after all that they had been through; but incredibly, nobody got sick. I'm leaving Jared in charge next year.

The kids got new outfits for Easter. I'm still trying to figure out how to explain the Easter Bunny. So we dye the eggs and then hand them over to the Easter Bunny to hide? It doesn't make much sense. Santa is way easier to keep up. Our attempts at a family picture

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What cute pictures, and great story about the eggs. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a hard time with boiling eggs- my problem is trying to get the shells off without taking 1/2 the egg with it . . . anyway.

Stephanie Black said...

Cute outfits! Your egg story is funny! I didn't even dare try dying eggs with my monsters. Way to go...at least it all worked out and you have a good story to tell from it all.