Saturday, October 3, 2009

Temple!!!

Even though I have an overwhelming amount of school work to do, I have to express my emotion regarding the announcement of a temple to be built in Fort Lauderdale! You can not imagine the joy and excitement we felt when we heard such incredible news. Either it's my already stuffy nose from getting sick yet again, or I am feeling incredibly emotional about getting a temple. Probably a combination of the two. President Monson said 86 percent of the church lives within 200 miles of a temple. I just googled it and we live 213 miles away from the nearest temple. When he said that, the thought occurred to me that we would be on the list to get a temple... and we were!

It is always a huge sacrifice to go to the temple. Our stake has been chartering two temple buses a month up to Orlando for several years now which generally leave at 4:30 or 5:00 am and don't get back till about 6:00 or 7:00 pm. These bus trips have been really great, but it is always a hassle trying to find families to watch kids all day, or even over night. Sometimes we drive our kids the 3 hours up there, take turns and then drive back. Sometimes we go separately. Usually I try to go to a temple whenever I travel, because there seems to always be one where we end up going.

But I can only imagine how great it will be to call a babysitter for the night, drive 15 minutes and be at the temple. Or even go when my kids are in school. What a blessing! And I know it will be a blessing for all the other members, as well as the many good people that live down here who do not know about the church. I am just so grateful, emotional, excited and feel so blessed to be able to witness Christ's church move forward in all parts of the world, even my own back yard!

7 comments:

Heather said...

We were so excited for all of our friends in Florida too! I had a few tears myself. Jimmy and I always were searching for the perfect property for a temple when we lived there. Let us know when you hear where it will be located.

Ariel said...

I thought of you when I heard the announcement. We are thrilled for you!

HeatherWasHere said...

I wondered if that was close to you when they announced it. Hooray! I had no idea your closest temple was so far away!

Marinda said...

when they announced ft. lauderdale... i thought of you! i am excited for you! makes me feel bad that i don't make more of an effort to go when i have so many near my house...

Stephanie Black said...

I was so, so, so excited to hear this news! Now I only wish I lived back there to enjoy it. What an awesome blessing and opportunity for everyone done there! I can't wait to hear where it will be built.

kkerr said...

Yay! So excited for you Laura. We are in the same boat as you currently are so I know how difficult it is to go when it is so far away. You'll be able to go all the time once it's built!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That is so exciting!! We are planning on coming out for the dedication!